Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Papercraft: ice village, iceberg, sky castle

One thing I have always struggled with is finishing pieces. I tend to work on them until I can see definitively in my mind what the outcome is, and am pleased, because I have gained a skill and -could- produce the outcome at will for the rest of my life. But one thing artists should be able to do is show their work to other people, even people they are not psychically connected to. For that reason, I have bought a lot of fancy paper to make my papercraft scenes match the imaginings I superimpose on them.
This is an ice village.


This is a cloud castle. The paper is very hard to work with so I am not totally happy with how it came out. It's hard because at the seams there can't be any overlap because it would show.


This is my favorite one so far. It is an iceberg I made by tearing up old library catalog cards, and a golden monster ensnaring a ship. The ship isn't finished (I am still bad at completing things!) because the sail I made looked like it was sailing along happily, not being pulled under arctic water. It's hard because it is a brave little ship, not an old decrepit one, but the sail has to look battered. And be a centimeter tall. Ugh.

Anyway, I really like how nicely and cleanly these come together. I have plenty of paper to make lots more. I am planning a standalone rocket ship, a few space scenes, a meadow, more icebergs, and a forest.

No comments: