Friday, January 20, 2012

One week down

So far I do not like working for the USPS. This comes as a surprise, because I am very good at enjoying things and I love the USPS. But the Hayward main post office is not like a club for philatelists and deltiologists (that's postcards) and artists who are together manifesting a mail art renaissance. It is much more like everyone is pushing carts around in a big hurry all day.

I am the youngest person there, and am one of five custodians. I sincerely and wholeheartedly expected to enjoy my stewardship of the Hayward USPS premises. I do not know why I spent the entire week counting minutes and clicks (the post office is on 24 hour time and each hour is marked in hundredths. I like thinking about clicks elapsed but minutes remaining, to make it seem faster. my arithmetic is improving a bit) until I could go and sit in traffic.

I like sweeping, and I like mopping, and I like wiping things down. I like not having any customers and I like wearing the polish off my boots. I like having coworkers. I have been trying to work out what I don't like, and I guess it is that I feel insecure and like I have no one to talk to. Everyone is busy, and no one is new, and no one is young. I don't want to go into some of the offices I am supposed to police because the doors are closed and I don't want to bother anyone.

No comments: