Saturday, November 20, 2010

rainy day exploration

I went for a rainy day walk today, and because I was wearing rain boots I ventured down into a little runoff stream that I pass by every time I walk to the beach. I discovered that the tunnel that the runoff goes through never turns into a pipe, as I had thought, but is large enough for me to pass through very comfortably. There are two grates above the tunnel that rained on me, and there was a phenomenal amount of wind in the tunnel which was very exciting. The tunnel is perhaps 3 or 3 1/2 feet high, with a trough in the middle and shallower sides.
This is the inland side:
This is the ocean side:
This tunnel was a bit easier than climbing down a lot of rocks while wearing flip flops, which is what I usually do at that beach. But I can definitely only do this when it's raining, because the water isn't stagnant and the rocks on the beach side are washed clean instead of slippery and sandy, and I am wearing rain boots rather than flip flops. I like that. The tunnel is 'activated' by rain.

No comments: