Saturday, November 6, 2010

Art Murmur

A little more than half of my art and art history professors at UCSC live in San Francisco and the rest live in Oakland. One of the Oakland ones organized a field trip for us next Monday to go to Urban Ore (which is a lot of reclaimed stuff like sinks and doors and luggage and electronics) and a metal yard and a salvage yard. I can't go because I have a midterm at that time. So I went to the other proposed field trip destination, Oakland Art Murmur. It is where 24 galleries around Oakland open from 6-9pm on the first Friday of the month. I ended up going alone so I didn't want to walk very far in the dark and stuck to the ones around 23rd street, and I saw a LOT of art in different styles. Sculpture, textiles, painting, repurposed toys... it was neat! The outdoor vendors had things like leather cuffs and pottery, but I felt shy to look closely at their art since I couldn't buy anything, and it was really dark because it is Winter so I couldn't see it from far away.



This is called The Great Wall of Oakland, and it is at Grand and Valley streets. I watched it for 10 minutes and it was interesting. It was a bit faded. I don't know if the projector was a bit too far away, or it wasn't quite dark enough out. I had never seen this before and it's neat! It was showing shorts by different artists instead of looping something, so I think I could have spent a significant amount of time watching it.

No comments: