Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sculpture 1: Sea Creature Amalgam

I have finished the clay work for my sea creature amalgam. Tomorrow we are having a presentation about glazes, so that will be fun.
Here are all of the glazes shown on little cups. The top two rows are oxidisation fired, and the bottom two are reduction fired. The reduction firing makes a less perfect finish. I don't know which version I will do. I am not very excited by any of these colors. I am interested in raku firing, but apparently it is too dangerous for an elaborate piece, because of the quenching or something. Anyway, I don't think any of those are right. I don't know what I want it to look like. I planned to do it all black but everyone says that I should highlight the details more than that.
I don't know. I think red would be excellent, but the school reds are so brown, I would want a bright red. So I am leaning toward glazing in black with green accents, such as the suckers.
I spent 3 hours today digging out and refining all of those little rectangles. This is a good view of the crab climbing out of it.

I was going to wuss out and not do suckers on the tentacles because it seemed overwhelming, but then I was inspecting the tentacles to see how many suckers I would need and only a few places had the suckered side in view so I only had to do about 12 suckers. And weirdly, they suctioned onto the tool I was sticking them on with.

We are all done with wet clay (THANK GOD) because there are only 2 weeks left in the course. I still have to glaze everything and then we are making a lost wax bronze piece. I am kind of exited but there are so many possibilities that I don't know what to do.

Update: I used slip to paint the claws and crab legs black and the inlay on the body yellow, and the suckers pink. This way, if it comes out badly i can glaze over the whole thing in black.

No comments: