Tuesday, October 14, 2008

knitting's back!

I haven't knit anything in 7 or 8 months, but it's cold in santa cruz so I started some socks, and then it's van de walle birthday season so I have to make mom and nana and maybe dad something, and it is fun! My fingers feel very weird knitting on the socks again after wrestling Nick's bulky homespun around the needles for an hour. I feel like I can barely sense the presence of the thin sock yarn so I have to keep checking that I'm actually knitting.

Mom has requested socks. I have made about 10 pairs of socks for myself. I almost always use wool, because it is springy and holds its shape and if the stitches are a little uneven you can stretch it (called blocking) into perfection. Also they are tremendously warm. However, mom is very allergic to wool so she wants cotton socks. I made cotton socks for her mother (same allergy) and my fingers were very sore. I took Mom yarn shopping so I could explain the guidelines about what makes a good sock and a good yarn to knit with. It was good because she picked a gorgeous soft purple, 50% cotton and 50% acrylic. It's much thicker than sock yarn, but that just means it will be squashy and soft. If I had gone shopping alone I probably would have come up with self striping yarn in a blue palette but the purple is awesome, a dusky violet. It hurts my hands like knitting with rope so I'm going to do her a painting for Christmas, not anything knit.

No comments: