Sunday, June 11, 2023

Public Skate

 I'm so glad we have somewhere cold to work out. I just watched this Nike as underdog movie where they keep referring to running and I kept thinking, oh, if I liked running I could get so much exercise for free and right outside my front door. Instead I get 2 hours of ice time for $14 plus driving across town and paying for parking. I still don't actually need 2 hours to get a workout done. The limiting factor has been foot pain in my ice skates. When I started up lessons my feet cramped up within ten minutes and just stayed cramped. It got way better to the point that I can stay for all of an hour long class. Then I missed class over memorial day weekend and the pain came back the following week. So, I think I have to skate one or two times per week to keep my feet used to it. I don't know why that would be but it's a nice built in reinforcement for going to the rink for a practice session in between classes. That said, today was the first day I ever skated for over an hour. There's a sweet spot in the 3pm-5pm weekday public skate where school is out (so no one is on a field trip with their entire grade on rental skates, alternately clinging to the wall or laying on the ice) but no one has had time to commute from school to the rink. In a perfect world I would get to the rink at 2:30, warm up in the bleachers, skate my most developing moves, then by 3:30 as the rink fills up do easier things for conditioning. I can't believe Spring session of Learn to Skate is over in one month. It has been a wonderful way to jump start the weekend. I've been thinking I have months and months before I would need to add private lessons in order to progress. However once we focus on something in LTS we don't do that same skill intensively again. So when I was introduced to 3 turns nothing came of it, I have been studying and practicing on my own, and now it feels like something is happening but it would be great to have someone knowledgeable take a look. I skate a little half circle on my inside edge, check my arms, lift up onto my rocker to turn around, and currently I heavily set my free leg anywhere to keep from falling over. 

No comments: