Thursday, June 15, 2023

Adult Ice Skating Levels (or not)

I think I found out that jumps are coming up in just a second. Like after I get the hang of everything we've worked on, get them clean and consistent, the next batch of things involves little jumps. This conflicts with my plan to never do a jump for any reason. I read that you get a pin for completing a level. I am pretty sure we all are not getting pins in real life. Otherwise I would be seeing them on skate bags, on skaters, on the ground. But I did think, what pin am I theoretically working on? Because, I love goals. 

If I were earning a pin I would earn the Beta pin. That's the highest level where everything is coming along nicely. I just got my back crossovers although I haven't had empty enough ice to work on consecutive ones. 

However, Adult Intermediate has had us work on almost every skill from Pre Alpha to Delta. And we still have two more weeks together. So it seems like not very many more sessions before those are all under control. Actually they did make us do one little jump called the Bunny Hop. It seems like a misnomer for an Adult skill. I guess if 190 pounds of bunny hit the ice it would look like the Bunny Hop feels. Which is: dread, nausea, adrenaline. I read that adrenaline is to get you out of the situation that gave you adrenaline. And the funny thing about that is a wave of renewed vigor and energy comes over me, and I am kind of mad, and I still literally do not know how to do the skill.

I suppose these new tricky things might take longer than the old tricky things. I see my ice skates were delivered 2 months ago almost to the day. 



No comments: