Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Learn to Skate

Ice skating was different today. 

I was able to tell what was happening. Up til now I have been really only able to repeat something on the same side in the same direction because flipping everything mentally for every repetition is harder than just resetting to skate it the same way. We were just doing an inside edge half circle with switching our arms at the top of the half circle. But I was able to start them facing toward or away from the clock and standing on either foot. This sounds so reasonable but to date if I so much as switch my arms it forces out any knowledge of what else I am doing. 

Class was also a bit different format. They had us drill this for 20 minutes and I sort of had to stop skating eventually because I had to stop using my burning knees and I don’t know any skating that doesn’t use the knees. However after standing around a bit I realized I could still stroke around forward casually. 

My crossovers were also different today. They make us skate forward crossovers on half the ice sheet for several minutes in each side. Previously I have had kind of erratic crossovers where I would be falling if I didn’t keep taking steps and get a little speed going. Today every once in a while I would stagger around but I could also stand and glide with feet parallel, my left foot on the right and my right foot on the left, and then uncross them. So for much of the time I had a good deal of control of my carriage and then, who knows why I’d falter, avoiding a skater or a weird patch of ice or experiementing with a little tweak. 

No comments: