Friday, March 27, 2020

Zorn Palette Exploration Day 1: Landscape

 Not sure you can make anything out in this landscape painting.
 Does that help? This is the view from my window while quarantined.
Essentially there is just a learning curve to using oil paints, and I am very out of practice. It's a very different practice from watercolor, where you let the paper shine through as you swish a little accent here and there.

Having set a goal to work on my Zorn Palette skills, I realized suddenly the light was fading and I had no ground prepared and no subject. I painted directly on the watercolor paper, racing the sunset. My red was not correct (quinacridone rather than cadmium) and I overestimated my ability to coax a blue sky out of the limited palette of red, white, black, and yellow.

Compared to when I first tried oil painting 10 years ago, this is more successful. I sat and blended everything away into mud and couldn't understand how it had happened.

No comments: