Wednesday, July 6, 2011

1shot enamel

I know people use a sprayer to paint cars. I don't have space where spraying would work, and I am very good with a brush. I used all my tricks and wiles. And that paint was like, "Yeah, I'm metallic gold. You're getting brushstrokes." And I was like, "Noooooooooo." It's a thin, quick drying oil based paint that has amazing pigmentation and a tendency to drip. I put it on in sections, starting at the bottom with horizontal strokes that I blended vertically into the next horizontal stroke. At the end of each vertical stroke I reduced pressure a lot and feathered the brush across the drying paint. I didn't get a picture because I had to come inside to calm down.

Later:
Okay, I calmed down.
Now that I know I'll have brushstrokes I guess I will have to use them somehow to mimic metal surfaces. I could use scumbling to mimic burnishing. I guess I could learn more about faux finishes in metal.

2 comments:

flyingvan said...

Have you considered gold leaf? Sheets of it from Michael's are pretty inexpensive. Please post pictures as you progress!

Caitlan said...

I did look at the price of gold and copper leaf and size (to help it stick) but i thought paint would be easier and cheaper.