Thursday, April 9, 2009

getting along

Reading this article, I was shocked at some findings:
  • Only 53% of adults know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun.
  • Only 59% of adults know that the earliest humans and dinosaurs did not live at the same time.
  • Only 47% of adults can roughly approximate the percent of the Earth's surface that is covered with water.*
  • Only 21% of adults answered all three questions correctly.
I was so surprised that I wanted to share it with someone and be reassured that, you know, the sample size was small, or something. So Ashley was the only person in my living room at 9 am, and I read out the first stat, and probably because it is early she comes back with:
"I don't know how long it takes for the Earth to go around the sun"
and okay, I have taken 3 more astronomy classes than she has, I know that. But she is majoring in, you know, science, so I was taken aback and blurted out:
"It takes a year, Ashley."
"Oh yeah, huh?"
And I immediately felt bad but didn't know what to say, so I shared the dinosaur stat and she joked that it was the Flintstones, confusing people. So what I am trying to say is I successfully grasp rudimentary science, but in terms of sociological competence I need extra help.

Also it says that only 1% of Americans know the percentage of water that is fresh, and I totally thought it was 1%, but it is 3% with one third of that being in usable form.

So, wow, I have just totally duplicated the results of that study with a sample group of 2. (Actually Ashley probably knows the fresh water percentage from taking environmental science classes, but I was not going to bombard her anymore. Because she left.)

No comments: